Few recipes can be as simple as this quick version of pickled cucumber. This is really a cucumber salad with an Asian-flair and I love its simplicity. Because sometimes, we all need an easy dinner!
Serves 4 people
For the sauce:
- 4.5 oz (about 120g) fresh ginger, peeled
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ cup sake
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 English cucumbers (about 1.5 lbs)
- 3 scallions (white and green parts), finely cut on diagonal
- Divide the ginger in half. Using a juice extractor, run one half to yield 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger juice. Using a micro-plain, grate the other half and gather 1 tablespoon. Reserve.
- In another bowl, whisk the vinegar, sake, and water. Add the sugar and whisk until it is all dissolved. Add the ginger juice and the grated ginger.
- Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise and cut each half into thin half-moon circles (about 1/16 -inch, or 2 mm). Place it in a bowl, pour the sauce over, and toss. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, add the scallions. Serve slightly chilled.